<IGSE MA TESOL in Korea: Interview with an graduate>

Glenn John Allies is  a graduate who majored in ELT Materials Development at IGSE 
and currently working as a freelance ELT consultant and also as a Cambridge CELTA tutor.










1.     Please introduce yourself.

I’m Glenn Allies. I studied at IGSE from 2006-2008, 5thwave in materials development. I was the first foreigner to graduate from this school. I worked as a teacher trainer with TTI and successfully set up the Non-residential Intensive English In-service Teacher Training Programme (NIIETTP). I also taught courses at IGSE. I left Korea in 2012 and joined the British Council and worked in teacher training and mentoring in Libya and after that I was one of the project managers on the EfECT programme in Myanmar. I have now chosen to be a freelance ELT consultant and have worked on projects in Sierra Leone and Korea. I am also a CELTA tutor.



2.     How did you get to know about IGSE before you entered IGSE?

I knew two of the professors here, and while working at TTI I heard a lot about the programme.


3.     Can you tell us why you decided to study at IGSE?

By 2006, I had had 5 years teaching experience. I thought it would be an invaluable opportunity to really learn about the theoretical underpinnings of ELT and also how to develop materials. At that time I felt I needed a foundation in ELT, my undergraduate study was in Psychology and Sociology, and one year postgraduate study in organization and management. I had decided to make ELT my career; so registering for the MA was seen as an advancement of my career.







4.     What were most valuable things you learned at IGSE?

Obviously the content was very important. It allowed me to reflect on my teaching practice and allowed me to question the relevance of what I was doing in the classroom. It also gave me a deeper understanding in how to evaluate materials and how to meet learners’ needs in developing materials. I would say the ‘Principles of language learning and teaching” was probably the most important course for me, it gave a good overview and informed my thesis and most of what I did in the two years. Other important skills I learnt was group work and time management; with the amount of work that had to be done, you have to be organized.

5.     What differences did IGSE made in your professional career?

Firstly, it helped me in developing courses for TTI and the NIIETTP programme. I enrolled for DELTA after I had completed the MA, the knowledge gained at IGSE made the DELTA much easier. In the project in Myanmar, I was on the steering group for materials development. We developed context-specific materials for teacher trainers there. I was in charge of editing and piloting materials – I could not have done this without having studied at IGSE. The materials received excellent feedback from the Ministry of Education as well as the teacher trainers. Recently, I wrote two terms of Grade 6 English Language Arts Primary materials for use in Sierra Leone which the editors were very happy with. The materials will be rolled out in March 2017. I also delivered a course in adapting and developing grammar materials, which was very well received. These are accomplishments I owe to my studies at IGSE. So, all in all, I would say IGSE has had a profound influence on my professional career. I am a much better ELT practitioner due to my studies at IGSE.




6.     What do you think IGSE is in your life?

I am very proud to be an IGSE graduate. I still keep in contact with some of my classmates, all of who are very successful in the positions they hold and I try to visit as often as I can. I would gladly recommend the school and its professionalism. I think IGSE is unique because regionally the school is an authority on ELT, which is important because before IGSE, the region depended on input from institutions and individuals who did not really have experience in Asia. IGSE is an important part of my life and my career.

7.     If you can say something to those considering studying at IGSE, what would you say to them?

You need to be serious about a career in ELT if you want to apply to IGSE. Don’t think of it as an option, make the decision to become an ELT practitioner, and then apply. Work hard. Read all the readings and don’t copy and paste. If you want the best out of this qualification you have to put in the work. IGSE is not difficult, but it is hard. You have to manage your time and produce what is expected. You will not regret studying at IGSE.


International Graduate School of English runs MA programs for TESOL and ELT Materials Development.